If you are considering purchasing polymer clay products or just need a refresher on how to care for your collection, I've pulled together some instructions on how to keep your items in tip top condition.
General care instructions for polymer clay earrings
- They are strong, but not indestructible, so be sure not to drop your earrings as the small parts may break.
- Avoid discoloration from rubbing against non-colorfast dye and products like fake tan and makeup.
- Clean by gently rubbing with a baby wipe (only suitable for sweet studs, see below for any of the dog earrings or custom creations).
- Store in a dry and protected place- an earrings storage board or fabric travel pouch are a good idea.
- Take care when handling studs by separating the post from the back rather than pulling on the clay or timber.
- Not suitable to wear while sleeping, swimming or showering.
- Avoid wearing the earrings when applying perfume, aerosol deodorant and hairspray (or any chemicals really).
Because the custom pet creations such as the pet keyrings, statues etc often have details added with paint before being sealed, they aren't suitable to be cleaned with baby wipes (or any liquids or chemicals really).
- If the item gathers dust, gently wipe over with a dry microfibre cloth.
- Prevent any abrasive materials from rubbing against the item and keep dry at all times.
- Avoid storing or displaying your cherished items in extreme temperatures or direct sunlight.
- Rinse and wash mesh ball after use being careful to avoid dipping the pet into the water.
- Not suitable to be washed in dishwasher.
- To clean pet face end of strainer, gently rub clay with a slightly damp cloth. Avoid soiling, as repeated cleaning can wear away sealant and paint.
Where possible, handle the cufflinks from the metal back or at least the head of the pet, to avoid placing too much force on the thinnest part of the clay, which is usually the ears of your furchild.
If you are looking to keep your wedding cufflinks as a memento from your big day and you have a tendency to loose control of your limbs after a few drinks, best to remove the cufflinks and ask a sensible relative to take care of them after the ceremony but before you let loose!!
If you find your fabric earrings travel pouch starting to get a bit grubby, don't worry, you can remove the inner mesh board and handwash or chuck in the washing machine with cold water. Once dry, it can then be ironed (on a warm setting), before returning the storage board and your earcandy back where they belong.